To become a lifeguard, do I need to swim perfectly?
No. The instructor's manual says "the individual should not be judged on stroke mechanics, but rather on his or her overall demonstration of swimming strength, endurance, comfort in the water and ability to meet the time requirements."
Do I have to be a fast swimmer?
No. But obviously the faster the better.
Do lifeguards have to know how to dive?
No. Most of the time a lifeguard will enter the water in other ways than a dive. Diving like they do on a swim team isn't very useful for a lifeguard, since we need to be able to see the victim as we enter and approach them. Sometimes we need to enter extra carefully (in case of a spinal injury victim, for example). All students will be taught all the methods of entry.
What if I'm out of shape?
We work with every student to make sure they pass the lifeguard exam and we strive to make our students into the best lifeguards.
What is the Red Cross lifeguard certification written tests like?
The Red Cross certification tests are multiple-choice. 80% is passing. (For most Red Cross exams you can have two tries if you need them).
We spend a lot of time in class making sure that students understand the vocabulary and know all the rescue maneuvers needed to pass the test.
After taking this class how do I become Nassau County certified?
After taking our Red Cross certified lifeguarding class you would need to go to Nassau County's website and apply for a test. You MUST already posses a Red Cross lifeguarding certification.
What will I learn?
American Red Cross lifeguard training makes learning fun and easy.
Through classroom learning and hands-on practice, you'll learn:
- Slide-In Entry
- Stride and Compact Jumps
- Rescue Approach-Front Crawl or Breaststroke
- Simple Assist
- Extension Assist from the Deck
- Reaching Assist with Equipment and Throwing Assist
- Swimming Extension Rescue
- Active and Passive Drowning Victim Rear Rescue
- Two-Person Removal from the Water Using a Backboard
- Passive Submerged Victim-Shallow Water
- Multiple-Victim Rescue
- Feet-First Surface Dive
- Submerged Victim-Deep Water
- Front and Rear Head-Hold Escape
CARING FOR HEAD, NECK OR BACK INJURY SKILLS
- Manual In-Line Stabilization for a Head, Neck or Back Injury on Land- Lying Down, Sitting or Standing
- Using a Backboard for a Standing Victim on Land
- Head Splint Technique-Face-Up Victim, Shallow Water at or Near Surface
- Head Splint Technique-Face-Dow Victim, Shallow Water at or Near Surface
- Head and Chin Support-Face-Up Victim, Shallow Water at or Near Surface
- Head and Chin Support-Face-Down Victim, Shallow Water at or Near Surface
- Head Splint Technique-Face-Up Victim, Deep Water at or Near Surface
- Head Splint Technique-Face-Down Victim, Deep Water at or Near Surface
- Head and Chin Support-Face-Up Victim, Deep Water at or Near Surface
- In-Line Stabilization for a Submerged Victim-Face-Up, Face-Down or on One Side in Deep Water
- Using a Backboard in Shallow and Deep Water
CPR/AED FOR THE PROFESSIONAL RESCUER SKILLS
- Putting on Gloves
- Initial Assessment
- Rescue Breathing-Adult, Child and Infant
- Using a Bag-Valve-Mask Resuscitator-Two Rescuers
- Conscious Choking-Adult, Child and Infant
- Unconscious Choking-Adult, Child and Infant
- CPR-Adult, Child and Infant
- Two-Rescuer CPR-Adult, Child and Infant
- Using an AED-Adult and Child
- Secondary Assessment
- Controlling External Bleeding
- Applying a Sling and Binder
- Applying an Anatomic Splint
- Applying a Soft Splint
FINAL SKILL SCENARIOS TO BE DEMONSTRATED
- Final Skill Scenario 1-Active Drowning Victim
- Final Skill Scenario 2-Submerged Passive Drowning Victim
- Final Skill Scenario 3-Head, Neck or Back Injury.
Note there are several ways to care for a spinal injury in the water. In this scenario the victim will be face down and the student will need to rotate the victim face up with their choice of any of the
different saves for this purpose.
I have a medical condition can I take the Lifeguard course?
People with a medical condition or disability should discuss it with their physician and the staff at their local American Red Cross Chapter before beginning this course.
What do the certificates for the lifeguarding class include?
Can Lifeguard Training NY, LLC certify me in other areas besides Lifeguarding, Waterfront Lifeguarding, Junior Lifeguarding, Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding, Shallow Pool Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Management, Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Swimming, CPR/AED, First Aid, Responding to Emergencies, Basic Life Support, Wilderness First Aid, Emergency Oxygen and Bloodborne Pathogens?
We are currently working on being able to certify our students in other areas such as ACLS, LTI.
What places can I work with a Waterfront lifeguarding certificate?
Any open water non-surf environment such as lakes, rivers and reservoirs.
Are there any prerequisites to the Waterfront lifeguarding class?
Yes. The student must already have a Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate.
What will I learn and get certified in when I take the Waterfront lifeguarding class?
What is the refund policy?
There is a $50 non refundable registration fee. Once you start the class and fail we do not give a refund, instead we offer you credit to take another class for free (the student can fail up to 3 classes).
Does Lifeguard Training NY, LLC offer Junior Lifeguarding classes?
Lifeguard Training NY, LLC offers Junior Lifeguarding classes. Refer to our Junior Lifeguarding Page.
I need an instructor to teach lifeguarding at my camp, do you send instructors to teach at camps and school?
Lifeguard Training NY, LLC does send instructors to camps and schools to teach CPR/AED and Lifeguarding.
If you are interested in us sending an instructor to your camp or school, give us a call at 718 954-5567 or email us at email@example.com.
I need to take a CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers class do you offer it?
During the Summer we offer that class every Monday from 2-6.
Do you offer the Lifeguard Management in person exam?
Yes we do. We offer the in person Lifeguard Management exam every Sunday. Call us at (718) 954-5567 to schedule an exam date.
I want to work as a lifeguard in Nassau County, what information can you give me?
To work in Nassau County you will need to take the Nassau County exam. To take the Nassau County exam, you will need to have a Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate. Lifeguard Training NY, LLC offers the Red Cross Lifeguarding class and once the student passes the class he will get a Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate.
I need to take the Nassau County exam, how do I go about taking that?
You will need to contact the Town of Hempstead. You can go to our Nassau County Lifeguard Certification page for more information.
My lifeguard certification expired, what now?
Once your card expires you have 30 days to renew your certification. If it passed 30 days you will need to retake the whole lifeguarding class.
I run a camp and I need to get my lifeguards re-certified, do you offer discounts to camps and schools?
Yes we do. Send us a message in the Contact Us page and we will accommodate you.
I want to take the Nassau County lifeguarding exam, how do I go about taking it?
You will need to call (516) 572-6591 and schedule an exam date.
Where can I download the Nassau County/Town of Hempstead application ?
You can download the application here.
I am CPR/AED certified, do I need to take it again in the Lifeguarding class?
Yes you do. Part of the Lifeguarding class is CPR/AED. The CPR/AED certification that you will get is CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuers.
I'm looking to take a Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course, what information do I need to know?
To take the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course, the student must be at least 16 years old and a proficient swimmer.
How long is the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course?
The Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course is approximately a 30-hour course. This course will help you teach skills that may save a life, gain terrific work experience as an aquatics professional and also earn money.
Where is the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course taught?
We offer this class in Nassau and Suffolk County in Long Island NY and in Brooklyn NY.
Where can I download the WSI student manual?
You can download both copies of the WSI student manual's here.
On the first day of class, students must bring in both copies of the WSI manual's. Students may also bring in their laptop, tablet and any device that can read the PDF files to class.
What are the full list of classes you currently offer?
The full list of classes we currently offer are Lifeguarding, Waterfront Lifeguarding, Junior Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Recertification, Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding, Shallow Pool Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Management, Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Swimming, CPR/AED, First Aid, Responding to Emergencies, Basic Life Support, Wilderness First Aid, Babysitting Training, Emergency Oxygen and Bloodborne Pathogens.
Where can I download the Red Cross Lifeguarding book?
You can download the Red Cross Lifeguarding book here.
Is it easy to remember how to do CPR and use an AED?
Im making a pool party and im looking to hire lifeguards to keep everyone safe. How do I hire lifeguards?
We can send a lifeguard to your pool party. Call us at 718 954-5567 to get more information.
What do I need to know about Town of Hempstead lifeguarding exam?
For the TOH lifeguarding exam you will need to pass the following:
(1) Entrance into the water with a standard shallow dive, followed by a minimum speed test in freestyle - 50 yards in 35 seconds or less
(2) An endurance swim of 200 yards in continuous crawl in good form within 3:45
(3) Front surface approach for 25 yards, followed by an alternate cross chest carry of a struggling victim for 25 yards
(4) Front and back head hold escapes
(5) 15 yard approach with a piece of rescue equipment, place equipment on victim and return to starting location
(6) Surface dive in a minimum of 10 feet of water to retrieve a 10 pound weight and bring it to the surface
(7) Witness a demonstration of handling neck and back injuries in shallow and deep water
1 (718) 954-5567
Copyright © 2018
Lifeguard Training NY, LLC
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
WHAT WE DO
We teach Lifeguarding, Waterfront Lifeguarding, Junior Lifeguarding, Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding, Shallow Pool Lifeguarding, Water Safety Instructor (WSI), CPR/AED, CPR for the Professional Rescuers, First Aid Emergency Oxygen, Wilderness First Aid, Responding to Emergencies, Basic Life Support, Bloodborne Pathogens, Babysitting training, and swimming lessons. Its all certified by the American Red Cross.
Website and SEO done by Mattis Marketing USA
Download the Class for Life app, add us with our instructor ID to view our classes "Lifeguardtrainingny"
CALL OR TEXT US AT:
1 (718) 954-5567
If there is no answer please leave a message and we will call you back within 24 hours.